Thursday 3 August 2017

Planning tools for excellence

I was one of the first person to setup the Lucknow Metro GC office. We started when first part consisting of 8 stations was 45℅ complete and things were disorganised. The new GC had limited resources and no office space to start with. Project was moving with fast pace to break all records of the metro history. I had the challenge of setting up a management system and I did it on my personal laptop and my own webspace. The system is currently fully functional and backbone of GC's operations. We call it PMIS system and it was featured in Ace Update magazine last year.

*But what made me develop it?*
Coming from a trained and desciplined background with international experience on projects, I knew instantly that it will be difficult to handle a project like Lucknow Metro without a proper system. I applied my educational trainings from MBA in construction management and my six sigma certification to develop the PMIS system. Made it simple enough for office core team secretaries to use this with least training and made it secure enough so that quality is not  compromised.

To users these seem to be simple set of excel sheets. But the idea behind them had a deep methodology of subsystem called as DMAIC.

DMAIC means Define, Measure, analyse, improve and Control. I defined all the processes, made them measurable, created them in a format which could be analysed, results are used to improve productivity and control.

And I used zero cost to build it (except my working cost to company and net usage). The system is better than Aconex (Commercial software service costing upwards of Rs. 5 lacs per month) as far as analysis and control is concerned.

Remember when we talk of quality it is comparative. For comparison you need to analyse things. For analysis you need to measure it. To measure it you need to define parameters. By now I have developed and made money out of similar setups on many projects of Architectural and Non Architectural fields. And a new term for the same has been coined as well.

Welcome to *Construcinformation*

visit www.agakgc.com

Satyakam Garg