Wednesday 23 August 2017

The Unforeseen Element

The Unforeseen Elements

Some years ago I was designing Dubai Outlet Mall, 20 Lac sq.ft. development in middle of the desert some 15kms away from Dubai. In Dubai, the Architect has to work to guidelines of Dubai Municipality and Dubai Electric & water authority. I was worried a lot that how in this desert my project will get these utility connections. So I took an appointment and met department officials. And my worries were gone.

I saw that they had planned and provided along the main road underground utility corridors below footpath and at regular intervals they had provided hume pipes crossings across the road. Based on my proposal, the official marked the nearest crossing and provided me locations of utility connection chambers. My job was done.

And this is what I call designing for unforeseen.

On the contrast we see our roads and pavements regularly digged for cables and pipes laying. This not only becomes hazardous, it makes our cities unsuitable for disabled wheelchair users besides being an eyesore everywhere. Similarly in metro stations you will find wires and pipes being installed in unplanned manner defacing aesthetics and uneven floors.

This could have been avoided by just making a suitable provision by embedding routing provisions for future.

For example, we do it for AFC gates provision but we forget about Xray scanners. Nobody designs or leave extra pipes or conduits for future provision so that no disruption happens.

Technological changes may require retrofitting or refurbishing in future. A 5℅ extra provision for such future services will not affect the project financially, but will be economical in long term. Architects shall ask their MEP designers to ensure that they take a margin for the unforeseen. Afterall we have to design for India's future.